Skip to main content

Supremo!!!

My fascination with comics is a bit more than you could stand! And don't tell me I didn't warn you. Now I present a Comic Hero, which was another first of India. Yes, you guessed it right from the title of this post, SUPREMO! Published by Star Comics, an unknown publishers now in India, but back than (in 80s), they were HOT! Star Comics published India's first ever 3-D comics. The 3-D Comics craze died after a few issues, but these were in high demand back then. I am still in possession  of few issues of those 3-D comics with me. Someday, I will scan one of them, just to keep a piece of history.

Now, back to Supremo! Yes, it was a comic about costumed hero, with a falcon who talks to him. And he is someone else when not in Supremo disguise. You can ask, what’s new about it? This seems like any other costumed hero, but beholds, the personality he is when not Supremo is the catch. It was a comic featuring our very own Superstar, Amitabh Bachchan. Yes, Amitabh played himself in this comics, and while shooting for movies, he gets information about someone in danger by his falcon (I don't remember the name), and takes on disguise of Supremo to save the people. The stories were written by our very own Gulzar.


Gulzar who once penned down the adventures of Supremo (an 80’s comic series inspired by Amitabh Bachchan’s action films) says, “I had a tough time putting together Supremo because I was to make him a combination of Phantom, Superman and Amitabh Bachchan. And with a market that was saturated with Phantom, Superman, Tarzan and Flash Gordon comics. A Supremo speaking Indian English didn’t stand much of a chance. But I am sure Cartoon Network characters will have a longer shelf-life.”


I am not sure how much issues were published, and sadly I don't have any issue with me. I love to buy any or all issues of Supremo. I am fan of Amitabh Bachchan. If anyone wants to sell it, or even rent it, I am ready. I can return the comics after scanning it. I would love to share the scans as well. Please, if anyone has any issue of Supremo, do let me know. In fact, I am so desperate, I can pay for the scans as well. You get the scans done by someone and I will pay for it. I am posting one of the ad for the comics here, as this is the only thing I have on this....

This is what I got on Net for Supremo!
Supremo

Real Name: Amitabh Bachchan

Identity/Class: Normal human
Occupation: Actor
Affiliations: Vijay, Anthony (sidekicks); unnamed falcon
Enemies: Unknown
Known Relatives: None
Aliases: None
Base of Operations: India
First Appearance: Unknown
Powers/Abilities: Supremo has no super-powers. He has the combination of strength to defeat his human adversaries and intelligence to get out of traps laid for him.
History: Unknown
Comments: Apparently he looks very much like Mr. Amitabh Bachchan - one of the greatest actors in the history of Indian Cinema. Supremo was supposed to be the costumed alter ego of Indian film superstar Amitabh Bachchan. He has 2 boy sidekicks -Vijay and Anthony (they are again normal human beings and do not wear any special costume). Incidentally the names of the sidekicks are taken from famous screen roles of Mr. Bachchan. He has a falcon as a pet, who also acts as scout.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I have a 2-3 issues of Supremo. Have you read Sunny? A character based on Sunil Gavaskar?
ghoshbaba said…
I remember having read at least two supremo comics, unless i am mistaking inspector vijay comics top be supremo comics

Do you have copies of these?
Johnny Hotwire said…
There were 5 comics prited for Supremo, At my last visit to india I had opportunity to get 3 but did not bought it as I had never read them before and was looking for Indrajal. But last week while I was In India again I tried to contact the same bookshop but he no londer had it. But I would certainly like to read them if you have any..

Popular posts from this blog

Sholay - Special Edition DVD of Alternate Version

HAPPY NEW YEAR 2011 TO ALL! This is my 50th post on this Blog, and I never thought I can post upto 50 when I started. I wanted to post this in December 2010, as my last post of the year. But somehow, the time taken in research as well as year end holidays delayed it, and now we are with this, my 50th post, about Sholay Special Edition DVD and Alternate Version, as the first post this year. Sholay ! The name is enough! Yes, I am talking about Sholay the movie! The most famous movie of Indian film industry ever! There are so much written about Sholay, that I don't think I can add any new information in the already known knowledge about this movie! It’s a cult movie! Even today, after 35 years of its release, people still remember the characters, not just the main characters, but small guest appearance characters such as Surma Bhopali or Jailor, Sambha, Kalia as well! We still refer Sholay dialogues in day to day conversations! So, if people know so much and remember this much

कारवाँ – ग्राफिक नॉवेल (हिंदी)

याली ड्रीम्स की अँग्रेजी में प्रकाशित और प्रशंसित ग्राफिक नॉवेल कारवाँ अब हिंदी में उपलब्ध हो गयी है। आजकल के सभी नए कॉमिक्‍स प्रकाशक अपनी किताबें अँग्रेजी में ही प्रकाशित करते है। यह उनकी विवशता है, क्योंकि नए प्रकाशक के पास उत्तम कहानी और चित्रांकन तो है, परंतु प्रकाशित पुस्तकों के वितरण का उपयुक्त साधन नहीं है। उन्हें कॉमिक कान या फिर ऑनलाइन स्‍टोर्स पर निर्भर रहना पड़ता है। फिर उत्तम श्रेणी की कहानी, कला एवं रूप-सज्जा देने पर पुस्तक का मूल्य भी अधिक होता है। हिंदी में पाठकों की संख्या तो है, परंतु अधिक पैसे खर्च करके नए प्रकाशक की कॉमिक्‍स लेने वाले पाठक कम है। ऊपर से बिना देखे, ऑनलाइन खरीदने वाले तो और भी कम है। ऐसे में अँग्रेजी के पाठक तुलनात्मक रूप से अधिक हैं। यही कारण है कि आज हरेक प्रकाशक अँग्रेजी में ही अपनी कॉमिक्‍स प्रकाशित कर रहा है। भले ही कहानियाँ शुद्ध देशी है, पर भाषा विदेशी है। यह एक विडंबना है, जिसे आज प्रकाशक और हिंदी पढ़ने वाले पाठक, दोनों को झेलना पड़ता है। ऐसा नहीं है कि हिंदी में कॉमिक्‍स एकदम प्रकाशित नहीं होती। राज कॉमिक्‍स आज भी हिंदी में कॉमिक प्रकाशि

TnT – Taranath Tantrik – City of Sorrows

I read both part of Taranath Tantrik - City of Sorrow , and to summarize it, I can only say that I just can’t wait for the third installment. Brilliant story, keeps you gripped till the last page in both part. I will not discuss spoilers here. The story is about a Psychic Taranath Tantrik working with his friends Shankar , a CID office, Sneha , a TV journalist and   Vibhuti , a horror novelist, in an investigation, where someone is trying to change the City of Joy Kolkata into City of Sorrows.  First part shows glimpse into Taranath’s past, and cut to present day for main story to develop. The second part again shows villain’s past, and then move to current day. So, the first one introduced TnT to us, and started chain of events which makes the story. Then second part introduced the villain to us, and the story progressed.  I liked this type of storytelling, which gives you a glimpse of main character’s past, and then jumps directly to the story. Shamik Dasgupta has once again